Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire

HP
This HP film is by far and away the best one to date. It's a two and a half hour rollercoaster ride from start to finish and is to be highly recommended.

I am biased in that I love the books, but was very disapointed by the first two films in a massive way. In fact I didn't bother going to see the third one on the basis that I hated the first two so much. However I did see it at home and loved it, and was pleasantly proven wrong.

This film version is difficult to fault. The kids have come on in leaps and bounds in term of acting, the story is really entertaining and very dark. Voldemort makes a definitive appearance and is brilliantly portrayed by Ralph Fiennes, and the story has really begun to take off.

I think one of the best endorsements of this film is that people who have had no interest in the books or previous films have really enjoyed it. One caveat is that in my opinion this is not a film for little children. It's dark, it's violent and I jumped out my skin once or twice, despite the fact I knew what was coming!

3 comments:

funlearning said...

Thanks for the review. I'm waiting for my oldest son to get off grounding so we can go see it. I can't wait.

funlearning said...

On second thought, now that I looked up Ralph Fiennes, and saw that even he thought his scene with Harry was extremely scary.

What do you recommend is a good age to see this film? For the younger crowd. I don't want to scar my son for life.

Fi said...

Hi there, I've looked at your blog to see if I could get an idea of how old your eldest is and I'm gussing 5 or 6??? He sounds like quite a handful!
I really don't know if this is appropriate for him as it is very dark in places and may just scare him witless. Saying that he might love it if he's into that kind of thing! Some kids love being scarred. In this country it is rated 12's accompanied by an adult and I do think that it's not being overly restrictive by having that rating. Have you read the book?