Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Mansfield
This is by far my least favourite Austen story. I personally found it to be formulaic, dull and irritating!

The characters are the weakest of all her stories, which means that they are generally unlikeable and this left me not caring whether or not they lived happily ever after!

The heroine of the piece Fanny Price is a judgemental, weak, repressed and boring individual with very little to redeem her. The love interest Edmund is a preaching, uncertain boring and also repressed second son who's only ambition is to be a clergy man, he wasn't my type!
As a result I found myself rooting for the villain of the piece and hoped against hope that there would be a shock ending where Mr. Crawford won over Fanny's affections and they ran off together to live happily ever after. Fat chance.

If you want a decent Austen novel don't read this one, I recommend Pride & Prejudice or Sense & Sensibility as being ultimatley superiour!

No comments: