Monday, November 14, 2005

The Constant Gardener

THE_CONSTANT_GARDENER

This is by far and away my movie of the year to date. It is a gripping story of love, intrigue, deception and Africa and I just can't fault it.

The director Meirelles, who previously directed the equally stunning City of God, really does this story credit. The documentary style, shooting using hand held cameras gets the viewer very close to the action and the settings, to the point where you feel that if you tried a little harder you could smell the slum.

Fiennes and Weisz both do a magnificent job in portraying characters that, I for one, really cared about. Although the character Fiennes plays appears initially to be weak and inconsequential I found myself falling a little in love with him by the end of the film, as his strength, intelligence and commitment to his wife became overpowering factors in his true self.

Weisz has never convinced me before of her ability to act, but here in this film she shon. Her character is beautiful, intelligent, feisty, and loyal and there is so much to like about her that, her loss made me grieve too.

I cried during this movie. But more tellingly, I cried afterwards too, on the way home, when I thought about it. All I can say is that you won't regret going to see this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Posted a comment on this earlier but it may have gotten lost on route.
Just wondered if you've read the book & how you think the two compare? Personally I think there's no comparison between the two. Meirelles film is passionate and edgy, Le Carre's book is stodgy and soulless.

Fi said...

I tried to read Le Carré years ago and just didn't like his style. I associate his books with my Dad, as in they're his thing! And from what I've heard of the book I don't think I'll bother trying to read it when the film is just so magnificent!