Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Rose of Sebastapol by Katherine McMahon

rose

I like my historic novels as well as the next girl but I'm afraid that this particular offering by Katherine McMahon just didn't float my boat.

It had great potential as stories go. You have the romance of Florence Nightengale, the excitement of the Crimean War, a thwarted heroine and a dashing young doctor, but for me it was all a bit flat.

The heroine was well drawn as a character and totally unlikeable for most of the book. I found myself rooting for her demise rather than caring about her development as a person. Her love interest was about as interesting as watching paint dry until he goes mad and even then frankly I still didn't care.

This story had little to offer in terms of freshness or interest. It would appeal to some I have no doubt but would not come highly recommended from me.

No comments: