Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Homeland - Paul Mercier

homelandposter

There has been great excitement about the opening play in the Abbey's new season this year so I took myself off to see it at the weekend just to see what all the excitement is about!

Homeland is a modern adaption of the story of Óisín and Tír na Óg, in a very loose fashion. It's a very fast paced play and is only one act long and 90 minutes in length. But it is non stop rapid action from start to finish during that 90 minutes. The language and delivery is so quick and so full of information and story that I found myself at times really having to concentrate to make sure that I kept up with what was happening on stage. It was brilliant like a white knuckle ride in a fair and it was delivered by all on stage perfectly. If lines were missed of fluffed I certainly didn't notice.

The story tells the tale of how this country has degenerated due to the celtic tiger boom, development, spin and brown envelopes and if I talk anymore about it, it would just spoil the effect.

No comments: